Finding a family in Canada is something that will take several months. There are three areas: Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. You can become an au pair at any time, as long as the exchange rate has been open. To go to Canada, you must apply for a work permit (visa) known as a Work Holiday visa. In Canada, host families require to provide a certificate of a criminal record for all adults over 18 living in the house.